Hearing aids are expensive, and you love your furry friends.
You don’t want either one getting damaged. But if you leave your hearing aids just lying about, you are just asking for disaster.
We all know that dogs will eat anything. From garbage to crayons to, well, just about anything you leave lying around. This is especially true when they are young. Additionally, the whistling sound that hearing aids emit can often bother dogs, which results in them chewing on your expensive devices.
But it’s not just your expensive devices that concern us…the batteries in your hearing aids can cause serious health issues for your beloved pet.
If you suspect your pet might have swallowed your hearing aids, or the batteries, look for these signs: If ANY or all of these signs are present, you should get them to a vet right away.
- Signs may not show up for 12 hours or so.
- Lots of drooling
- Tenderness in stomach
- Lack of appetite
- Raw tongue
- Dead skin that is gray or whitish
If ANY or all of these signs are present, you should get them to a vet right away.
But, really, your best bet is to keep your pets from getting at your hearing aids at all.
Keep them up and/or in a place that is inaccessible.
Depending on the size and behavior of your animals – you may need to keep them in a cabinet or a drawer. Small dogs won’t be able to get them in high spots, but cats could. Think about your circumstances and do what makes the most sense.
Don’t hang on to old batteries
If they can’t hold a charge, or don’t fit your current model, dispose of them. Leaving them around the house is just asking for trouble!
Now you can keep your pets safe, and your hearing aids working properly. Win-win!
If it’s too late – your pet already got a hold of your hearing aids – let us know. We’ll help you get replacement parts or whatever you might need.
Give us a call. Make an appointment. Change your life.