Have you been letting your hearing loss get in the way of enjoying family time together? With the holidays approaching, this is the best time to be with your friends and family so we have compiled listening tips for family dinners and gatherings. Don’t just get through the holidays, but learn to enjoy them. Follow our tips checklist and share it with your friends and family.
- Make sure your friends and family know about your hearing loss and how they can best help you be a part of the conversation.
- It’s OK to ask others to repeat themselves if you didn’t hear them. Let them know how to help you hear them.
- Get involved in the family happenings. Start an activity with the kids, make a toast at dinner, stay engaged.
- Turn off the background noises like tv or music.
- Turn the lights up. This will allow you to see who is speaking and help you communicate best.
- Take a listening break about once an hour. This helps give your ears and your brain a break from processing.
Tips for Hearing Aid Users
If you wear hearing aids, you will want to make sure that you pay attention to a few things to make sure that they are working optimally during your family get togethers. Here is one more checklist for you:
- Make sure your batteries are charged or that you have a spare set of batteries if you don’t have rechargeable hearing aid batteries.
- Keep up with your regular hearing aid maintenance.
- Adjust the settings accordingly for your surroundings.
- Consider scheduling an appointment for a hearing aid check up before the holidays to make sure that they are in tip top shape.
You Can Rely on the Experts at Anderson Audiology
Give us a call. Make an appointment. Change your life.
At Anderson Audiology, we are always here to help you through all aspects of your hearing health. If you have any questions about hearing loss or hearing aids, please contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our hearing professionals today. We have 5 convenient audiology office locations in southern Nevada to choose from including: Green Valley, Sun City Summerlin, Aliante / Centennial, Henderson, or Rainbow / Desert Inn.